10 Affordable, fun Valentine's Day dates
1. Have a picnic in bed (complete with candles on the nightstand, lights out, mood music, and something delicious to wash it all down). For those with kids, book a babysitter who can take the little ones somewhere else for the evening.
2. Throw a white-tie party for two - create invitations before hand (guys, do it!), dress up in your best suit (or even invest in a tuxedo rental) and a beautiful evening gown... and have a night out on the... patio (or kitchen table, backyard, living room couch, etc.). Make it an award night, and give each other "best cook" or "best.... [you fill in the blank]" awards. Type them up, buy a fake trophy, make a PowerPoint presentation. Make it fun! You'll need the whole nine yards - cocktail hour, appetizer, a few entrees, desert, etc... And end the night the way you would have after any spectacular white-tie event... Don't wait for me to tell you - I'll leave that part up to you.
3. Spa date (from Bonny Albo, About.com Guide) - You don`t really need much for a great massage, other than great intentions and either some oil or a massage bar. A nice bath for the two of you to relax the muscles might be a lovely treat to share beforehand (perhaps in champagne?), with towels previously warmed in the dryer to boot. Just make sure to use spare sheets if you plan on doing a full body massage, since the oils you`ll use to glide over his or her skin can stain quite easily.
4. Cook dinner & dessert together - better yet, invite another couple over (to provide taste-testing volunteers or to join in on the cooking). If you invited another couple, you could make it into a contest. Create teams of guys vs. girls or couple vs. couple, choose one recipe, and see who can make it the best. If possible use different rooms so there's less chance of V-day spying! Men, don't forget the flowers!
5. Go to your favorite book store and get to know each other all over again. You can set a certain amount of time to gather books that show your special someone you love them. OR they can be books to show each other what your likes are that maybe he/she doesn't know about. You could even have a test to pick out a few books that you believe the other would love, and see how well you did. Grab a romance novel and find a comfy couch (or even buy it and go crash at your own place) to read some together. Hit the kids books section! The options are endless.
6. Do breakfast instead of dinner - make heart shaped pancakes, dye your scrambled eggs pink, and (guys!) have a bouquet of fresh flowers on the table (or the tray, if you've decided to stay in bed).
7. "Drive in movie date" - no drive in theater in your town? No problem! Bring the TV (or projector, if you have one) outside (to the garage or in the yard), back up your vehicle and arrange pillows and blankets so you can see your TV out a window (or from the bed of a truck, or however/wherever you prefer). Better yet, setup some surround sound speakers if your tech savvy. Don't forget the "movie munchies" like popcorn and licorice!
8. Take a walk - walk to your favorite park, through nature, around downtown. Take some pictures while you're at it. Hold hands the whole time. Remember how it was in the good old days where simplicity was the norm. :) Carve your initials into a tree trunk, yell "I love you Sue!" at the top of your lungs. Sit in the middle of a (deserted) street. Be silly.
9. Take a dance (or another hobby) class together and set some goals to keep it up!
10. And for the best of all... a photography date! Buy a big blanket of any color (it'll be your backdrop) and either nail it to a wall, hang it over a door, or put it up on something tall with chip bag clips. Grab a tall lamp or two (or your heavy duty work shop light), put a thin white sheet (or a large sheet of white present tissue) over the top of it to diffuse it (so it's not so bright/strong). Then grab some props - and have fun! Men - have some fun with your wifey and give her a personal boudoir photo shoot. Why not? :)
I hope you liked the ideas. Please comment...
-if you especially loved one of the ideas
-if you used one of the ideas (or plan to)
-if you have another idea to add to the list
And remember, girls, you have about 1 month to "remind" your men of the upcoming date... Casually mention this post, to get his juices flowing. Comment & share it on your own blog, on your Facebook wall (or his friend's, or your dog's... or better yet, his!), tweet it, email it. Or book an engagement shoot and I'll talk up the ideas to your guy while we shoot away! :)
Speaking of which, if you ARE engaged and need a really fun photographer to get some beautiful engagement photos, I'm your girl. Give me a call, send me a text, or shoot me an email today. Happy Valentines planning!